In terms of testosterone boosting supplement, there are two heavyweights that are frequently mentioned in discussions, either around the gym or in everyday chat.
These two supplements are Prime Male and Testogen, both of which share stellar reputations from those who use it, and to the untrained eye may appear bioequivalent.
However, at Supplement Investigator our job is to compare these supplements pound for pound and see who reigns supreme from a battle of legendary proportions.
Even though the ultimate goal of both Prime Male and Testogen is testosterone enhancement, they do not go about this the same way. In fact, there are a few important differences to consider that can help you make an informed choice when deciding which one is best for you.
Prime Male spends a lot of its marketing targeting men that are older than 30 years of age, which incidentally is the best demographic for them to target. For instance, men that are older than 30 are more likely to see adverse effects from reduced testosterone levels, especially when compared to men that are in their 20s.
This is not to say that younger men don’t stand to benefit from consumption of Prime Male, but rather the fact that results may be less than stellar when your testosterone levels are at their peak.
Be sure to read our full Prime Male review here to find out more.
Testogen, on the other hand, appears largely focused on men that are involved in bodybuilding and desirous of improving your competitive advantage. It does contain fewer ingredients than Prime Male, some of which may function better at acutely increasing testosterone, but is also geared at improving energy levels, strength and stamina.
It does not focus on men of a particular age, but men under the age of 30 are more likely to seek out supplements to this end.
Primary Benefits/Intended Uses Of Prime Male
- Increasing libido – this is one of the signs men look out for when determining if a testosterone booster is worth its weight, comparing their procreative urges with men in their 20s as the gold standard.
- Increased energy levels – diminishing testosterone strongly correlates to energy levels, normally occurring with lethargy and fatigue. Prime Male can be of particular benefit if you think your subpar energy developed rapidly, and along with other manifestations that indicate low testosterone.
- Helps reduce body fat – as men age and testosterone levels begin to decline, body fat accumulation becomes commonplace. This increases the risk of several metabolic diseases, including heart disease and diabetes. Prime Male can help reduce body fat by enhancing accrual of lean muscle mass.
- Improves wellbeing – part of what helps determine men’s overall health is normal testosterone for age. Prime male helps optimize testosterone so that better mood and a greater sense of well-being is evident. This is important for getting out of bed in the morning and accomplishing things you set out to do.
Primary Benefits/Intended Uses Of Testogen
- Sharpens focus – the ingredients contained in Testogen claim to be able to improve your focus and cognition, so that your mental performance is enhanced while you are doing what you love. This will benefit you in the gym, or at work while doing important tasks.
- Improve libido – like Prime Male, Testogen also helps improve your sex drive, improving sexual stamina in the process.
- Improves energy levels – by increasing testosterone, vitality is improved, along with resistance to stress and fatigue
- Build muscle – supports accrual of lean muscle mass and subsequent reduction of body fat.
Prime Male is widely accepted as a very safe supplement, owing to the fact that adverse effects resulting from consumption are very sparse.
The most commonly reported side effect from prime male consumption includes nausea, which can be alleviated by consuming the pills along with food.
Also very well tolerated by the majority of men that use it, the incidence of side effects is generally low. The most common side effect associated with this consumption is also nausea, which many supplements that have high potency D-Aspartic Acid are prone to do.
The presence of fenugreek may aggravate gynecomastia in men that are sensitive to female hormones, but this is one of the rarer effects associated with its consumption.
Differences In Ingredient Formulation
Even though Prime Male and Testogen have quite a few similar ingredients, there are differences in terms of potency, or ingredients unique to one supplement only. Even though differences may seem insignificant to consumers, it is exactly this which makes one product superior to the other.
The core ingredients contained in both supplements are:
- D-Aspartic Acid
- Red ginseng
- Vitamin D3
- Vitamin B6
Even though there is a great amount of overlap with these five ingredients, the dosages used are quite different. For instance, Testogen has significantly more ginseng (250mg vs 120mg in Prime Male) and vitamin B6, in addition to more D-Aspartic Acid.
Unique ingredients in Prime Male:
- Vitamin K2
- Nettle root extract
Unique ingredients in Testogen:
- Vitamin B2
- Tribulus Terrestris
- Vitamin B5
Pros And Cons
- Will help improve multiple aspects of male sexual health and overall well-being
- The brand has a positive reputation
- Money back guarantee if you decide the product is not for you
- Too many pills to drink, coming in at 4 daily; missing doses is a very likely occurrence
- The supplement is not cheap and is actually at the upper end of the price spectrum when it comes to testosterone boosters
- Should be used for a period of 90 days for most noticeable results
- Contains selenium, an important micromineral that supports testosterone synthesis
- Affordably priced- purchase of 3 bottles qualifies you for 2 more free
- Testogen is very popular and has a loyal fan base
- Lots of B vitamins can act favorably on mood
- 60-day money back guarantee (67 technically, since they give you 7 days to return the product)
- Ingredients lack synergy
- Some ingredients have not demonstrated a track record of increasing testosterone (*cough* Tribulus!)
- Includes way too much zinc- at a dose that can be considered detrimental to prostate health
The Verdict- My Recommendation
In general, if your goal is overall testosterone enhancement and improved male health, Prime Male is best suited for this purpose. It has an excellent mix of ingredients that work synergistically to optimize testosterone production and can help address low testosterone levels brought about by lifestyle.
Testogen contains a few ingredients not found in Prime Male, and is best suited for persons desirous of enhancing the rate of lean muscle accrual. Fenugreek, for instance, is useful to most men that consume it and can enhance the muscle building process.
So in summary, it boils down to what you want most from a testosterone booster. If you’re under 30 and want to be a beast in the gym, give Testogen a shot. Otherwise, if you’re more interested in overall male health, you can’t go wrong with Prime Male.
Both are excellent products!